Indonesian Peningkatan Kualitas Publikasi Internasional (PKPI) Program
From 2010 to 2019, Northern Illinois University offered the opportunity for doctoral students studying at Indonesian universities to participate in the PKPI program at NIU. Students selected for this program worked under the supervision of a selected professor to develop and advance their research projects or articles for publication. The program included a weekly seminar to prepare scholars for publishing in an academic journal. PKPI was funded by DIKTI, Directorate of Higher Education of the Ministry of Research, Technology and Higher Education of the Republic of Indonesia.
NIU has a strong reputation in Indonesia and has developed academic partnerships with several Indonesian universities. Notable NIU alumni from Indonesia include Ryaas Rasyid, Affan Gaffar, Anies Baswedan, Riswanda Imawan, Andi Mallarangeng, Ikhlasul Amal and Ramlan Surbakti.
Opportunities Afforded PKPI Scholars
- Access to NIU Founders Memorial Library’s extensive reference materials, databases and the Donn V. Hart Southeast Asia Collection
- Research mentorships with an NIU professor
- Weekly seminar on article development, writing and publishing
- Other seminars on campus, including Friday lecture series hosted by the NIU Center for Southeast Asian Studies
- On-campus housing, which includes a meal plan with some amenities
- O’Hare International Airport pick-up and return