We are committed to providing a safe laboratory experience for our students, faculty and staff. In an effort to achieve a safe environment, we provide ongoing safety training and produce a yearly Safety Procedures Manual.
The Safety Procedures Manual contains emergency personnel contact information, as well as procedures for handling severe weather emergencies, medical emergencies, fires, chemical spills and building evacuations. Building evacuation route maps and safety equipment locator maps are also included in the manual.
The department provides fire extinguisher training on an annual basis—a requirement for all our graduate students—and also offers First Aid and CPR certification every two years. Also, in conjunction with the Department of Environmental Health and Safety, the department offers training in laser safety, biosafety and proper chemical and waste storage and removal.
All instructional laboratory students are provided with personal protective equipment, including safety goggles, lab coats and disposable gloves. Training with laboratory safety equipment, such as safety phones, eye wash stations, fire blankets and safety showers, is also provided. Proper clothing, including closed‐toed shoes, long pants, lab coats and shirts with sleeves, must be worn at all times while in lab.
Safety Data Sheets (SDS) are available on all chemicals used in the department. Additionally, first aid kits are located in every research and instructional lab.
Documents and Resources
- 2017–18 Safety Procedures Manual
- Flinn Scientific Safety Resources
- General Safety Rules
- Identifying and Evaluating Hazards in Research Laboratories — Developed by the ACS
- Lab Accident Response and Reporting Procedure
- Lab Inspection Checklist
- Lab Safety Committee Charter
- Lab Safety Facebook Group
- Lab Safety Video
- NIU Emergency Information
- Office of Research Compliance, Integrity and Safety
- Standard Operating Procedure Template
- Student Advisory Safety Committee
- Student Advisory Safety Committee Presentation (Powerpoint, 18.5mb)
- UNIV 600: Professional Laboratory Safety — New Course Fall 2017
NIU Emergency Contacts
Environmental Health and Safety
Research Compliance, Integrity and Safety
Laboratory Safety Manager
Laboratory Safety Officer
Department Emergency Contacts/Alternates
Ralph A. Wheeler
Northern Illinois University
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry
Faraday Hall, Room 319
DeKalb, IL 60115