At the Heart of a Great University
With 18 departments and spanning the humanities, social sciences and natural sciences, the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences is the largest of NIU's six undergraduate colleges. By the nature of our mission, we touch virtually every new student to the university, regardless of their major, through the wide array of general education courses housed within our departments.
Regardless of the area of study, a liberal arts foundation provides students with strong communication, critical thinking, emotional intelligence, cultural competence, creativity and collaboration skills. These are skills that employers value. Your future career success begins here!
- Undergraduates now have their own journal for political issues, and it’s based at NIU.
- Rachel Jacob named 2017-18 NIU Student Lincoln Laureate.
- Three faculty from CLAS recognized for research and scholarship.
- CLAS houses six Accelerated Law Degree programs in English, History, Philosophy, Political Science, Sociology, and French, German or Spanish.
- We offer secondary educator licensure in nine areas: English, History and Social Sciences, Math, Biology, Chemistry, Earth and Space Sciences, Environmental Sciences, Physics and Foreign Language (K-12).
Zulauf Hall 312
Add/Drop Class, Enroll, Transfer, Withdraw, etc.
Zulauf Hall 201